Friday, April 22, 2011

Ghetto Proverbs and Oxymorons

Okay, so this is the thing about Urban Philadelphia the ghetto, everywhere you go there are corner stores. Most corner stores are "bodegas," meaning they are owned and operated by immigrants from various parts of Latin America. In my experience, most are owned by Dominicans and Puerto Ricans. There are also corner stores owned by Asians; those stores are usually slightly larger and sell alcohol through triple-bullet proof plastic counters.


 If I gave you a description of a typical corner store, these establishments would probably seem quite cool and convenient: a mini-mart where people in the neighborhood can buy everything from hair greese to mayonnaise. And many of the small stores are complete with a deli in the back, where hoagies and lunchmeat can be purchased at slightly higher prices than at the supermarket. When you enter into the small market, which is usually the converted first floor of a corner house, you might be overwhelmed by the amount and variety of goods that are stacked, piled, and hanging from every available space: hair weaves, pantyhose, canned goods, bananas, diapers, over-the-counter medicines, condoms, and of course lots of sugary drinks and junk food.
This brings me to the photos I have posted below. While these corner stores might seem to be harmless or even helpful, I believe that one must investigate deeper to see how they could be a danger and detriment to the people who shop in them. First, let’s start by stating, there are almost no quality grocery stores in the ghetto. So many people resort to shopping at these "corner stores" which appear to be at almost every corner. In fact, it seems as though the worst off the neighborhood, the higher quantity of corner stores.

 Upon entering the establishment, you are barraged by shelves and shelves or high-sugar, high-sodium, low nutrition foods: cakes, candy, cookies, and personal-sized chips of every variety. Walk in a little further, and the refrigerator section is filled with juices and sodas that are packed with sugar, high-fructose corn syrup, and artificial flavors and dyes.
 I grew up around these stores: my brother and I would sneak and buy snacks whenever we had an extra quarter (my parents didn't allow these types of foods and drinks in our home). But growing up, it was what it was- corner store junk. But now, I have discovered these bright yellow signs posted outside of many of these stores. The sign reads in big bold lettering, "DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR KIDS ARE DRINKING?" Then in the box below it says, "Sugary drinks can lead to diabetes and other diseases. Find healthier choices at this store."

 Okay, as soon as I'm thinking, "Huh? Is this a joke?" A van pulls up. A man begins to unload liters of neon orange, blue, and yellow soda and carts them into the store, case after case. As much as I would love to credit my fantastic investigative journalism skills for capturing this shameful irony, I must admit this one just fell into my lap. I snapped the photo and shook my head. Shame on them!
 This last picture was taken while I was strolling through North Philly, taking note of all the gentrification going on in Brewerytown. Written on the wall of a dilapidated home, which at one time might have been a fish market, were these words: "Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he will eat forever." Wow, if this wasn't the perfect proverb for my Philly. I immediately recognized the Chinese proverb that I'm sure dates back many centuries. But to see it written on this abandoned building, on a block who's few inhabitants reflected lives of despair, addiction, and complacence; this was indeed a ghetto proverb. And across the street there's a sign that reads, "Condos coming soon!" But those condos are not being built for the people on that street, with no fish or fishing line, those condos are being built for the fishermen.


1 comment: