Thursday, March 31, 2011

Wiki Me Philadelphia!

In my CIT 198 class, we are studying wikis. I must admit that I never saw how participating in a wiki could be beneficial in my life. However, being a budding journalist, I was anxious to learn about a web 2.0 application that could assist me in my career. Today's journalism is all about the web. There are some people who are skeptical about the future of journalism because of the big news in recent years of so many newspapers going bankrupt. But many of the internet-savvy journalist claim that this is just the evolution of journalism. People are interested in world events more now than ever before, but it’s no longer good enough to just write a great article and have it published. Today’s journalist have to know how to use twitter, facebook, wikis, streaming, RSS and other applications to get recognition for their work.

So this brings me to wikia.com. This is the site I have contributed to for my CIT class. To my delight, I have found that a wiki can also be used as an advertising tool. I found a wiki article about popular Philadelphia blogs and just added mine to the list! Oh, so I get it now… people love wikis because they are open to be edited by anyone and everyone. Yes, there is an administrator that will review the material to make sure it is fit to be on the wiki, but my article was posted right away. Wikis are like a “for the people, by the people” type of web 2.0 application. I am glad to have learned yet another way to expand on my journalism!

Check me out on wikia.com!


No comments:

Post a Comment